Car rental top 10 tips
Planning on renting a car whilst on vacation? Well, these tips are going to serve you well!
- Book your car in advance: Not only is the price going to be significantly cheaper than just ‘turning up’, but it will also be far quicker as the vehicle will be waiting for you when you arrive.
- Insurance: You may want to check if your auto insurance covers you whilst you are driving a rental car. If it does then you will probably not need to get insurance from the rental company. This is going to save you a LOT of money.
- Choose a decent sized vehicle for your family. Many people choose vehicles which are too small and this is just going to lead to an unpleasant vacation.
- If you must choose your car when you arrive then try not to do it at the airport. The car rental companies will see you as a ‘captive’ audience here and charge you FAR more then you will pay should you rent in the city.
- When you rent a vehicle you should always check it for damage. If you spot any damage then notify the rental company and take a photograph. This way there will be no problems when you try to return the vehicle.
- Buy your gas from a gas station and not the rental company. The rental company will be more than happy to fill up the vehicle for you. Just remember that they are going to charge a lot for this service too!
- Return the vehicle with a full tank of gas. If you do not then expect to pay some rather hefty fees for gas prices.
- If you are travelling as a group then you may want to book your vehicles all at the same time. You can probably save a significant amount of money doing this. Some airlines will also be able to score you a deal on car rental.
- Go with smaller companies: These often offer much more flexible plans and a far better service than larger companies. The only problem is that they are slightly more expensive.